ALERT: Bookings now open for September 19.
Experience The Past
At Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway, we aim to offer passengers the experience of a past now long gone.
You may be wanting to relive your youth or maybe travel behind your first steam train or recreate that special something that comes with riding in 100 year old coaches on tracks that are free of the clutter of modern life.
What ever you are searching for, with our 40 years experience, you will find it at Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway.
The Co-vid Safe Picnic train 19/9/20 - PB15 Steam hauled.
Join us this school holidays for a journey back in time behind PB 15 448 on our “Co-vid Picnic Train” departs from Swanbank Station (ONLY) at 9am, 11am and 1pm.
Before or after your trip you are able to grab a bite to eat at a food van on the green or grab a quick heritage bus trip to the Box Flat Mine disaster site. Featuring heritage timber carriages this one hour journey wends its way back in towards suburbia through the old coal mining sites, lush bushland and along the base of Castle Hill.
There is a quick turn around of the locomotive at Racecourse and we trundle to Swanbank, through paddocks of horses and past quaint miners cottages. QPSR are operating these services in a COVID Safe way and using Queensland Tourism and Accommodation Industry COVID Safe Plan to limit the risk of Covid spread. We ask that all passengers complete the pre-trip form prior to arrival and respect the limitations imposed.
Heritage Bus Trip 19/9/20 ONLY
Extend your journey with a trip on one of the Heritage Bus Associations 1950-1970 vintage buses. This 15 minute journey will take you down to the Box Flat Mine Disaster Memorial and around the lake. Ticket price is per person. Buses depart 10:15, 12:15 and 1:15.
Help keep us on track through COVID-19 and donate to the railway today so that Steam will run again!
QPSR receives no Government funding and is entirely volunteer operated which exempts us from any Governement relief in this time of forced shut down.
- Brisbane's Nearest Heritage Railway nestled at the Birth place of Railways in Queensland, Ipswich
- See 9 kilometers of historic and picturesque scenery through the old mine sites
- Travel behind a Heritage Steam Locomotives with the waft coal smoke, the hiss of the steam and blasts of the whistle
- Step back in time and Explore the Station at Swanbank built in 1903
- QPSR can offer's short trips to a full day out that, with a the Vintage buses, can extended your journey to the Cooneana Homestead and Heritage Village as part of the Picnic Train from Bundamba to Swanbank.
- Take in the Handmade Markets
- A great mix of food vans at Swanbank every Picnic Train
- Experience an unforgettable meal or themed event night (like a murder mystery) on the Queensland Pioneer Dining Train (More information here).
- Journey behind a Heritage Diesel Engine and experience the sounds and smells of the workhorses of Queensland's Branch Line
- Your visit supports the Queensland Pioneer Steam Railways restorations of unique and vintage vehicles
Volunteer For the Future
The Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway only operates because of a dedicated band of Volunteers.
It's not just drivers and firemen that keeps the trains going, the railway requires people to be the face of the railway as Passenger Services Staff and Station Staff, unsung hero's who do track work and locomotive and carriage maintenance, even gardeners will find a place at QPSR.
We would love for you to join our ranks as a QPSR member.
ABN 71 344 974 386