ALERT: Tickets are now available for our COVID-safe train here
Experience The Past
At Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway, we aim to offer passengers the experience of a past now long gone.
You may be wanting to relive your youth or maybe travel behind your first steam train or recreate that special something that comes with riding in 100 year old coaches on tracks that are free of the clutter of modern life.
What ever you are searching for, with our 40 years experience, you will find it at Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway.
The Co-vid Safe Picnic train 15/8/20 and 16/8/20 - Hauled by DEL1616
Travel on a Return Journey from the newly refurbished Swanbank Station through the lush scrubby bush land and quiet mining cottages suburbs, passing by relics of the 1800 and 1900's mining activities.
This is a 50 minute service ideal for young families who wish to have a safe day out, enjoying the park land facilities (Queen of Cupcakes is on hand with a wide selection of picnic ready food) unfortunately the heritage bus only be able to offer the Cooneana Homestead Mining Museum shuttle trip on Saturday to the Museum is open and only a short 10 minute trip from our station, so that you and your family can have a grand old day out.
Departs 9:00 and 11:00
- Trains will depart and return to Swanbank Only with no intermediate stops
-Trains are limited to 80 Passengers
- Family groups of 8+ will be allocated separate carriages.
- Due to the reduced numbers on the day there will be likely only 1-2 food vans on a running day
-We ask passengers to use hand sanitiser prior to boarding the train and to remain in their allocated seats for the duration of the Journey.
-We will be pre-screening all groups by questionnaire sent by email in the 72 hours prior to travel and will be rechecked on the day of travel to reduce the risk of Covid Spread.
Help keep us on track through COVID-19 and donate to the railway today so that Steam will run again!
QPSR receives no Government funding and is entirely volunteer operated which exempts us from any Governement relief in this time of forced shut down.
- Brisbane's Nearest Heritage Railway nestled at the Birth place of Railways in Queensland, Ipswich
- See 9 kilometers of historic and picturesque scenery through the old mine sites
- Travel behind a Heritage Steam Locomotives with the waft coal smoke, the hiss of the steam and blasts of the whistle
- Step back in time and Explore the Station at Swanbank built in 1903
- QPSR can offer's short trips to a full day out that, with a the Vintage buses, can extended your journey to the Cooneana Homestead and Heritage Village as part of the Picnic Train from Bundamba to Swanbank.
- Take in the Handmade Markets
- A great mix of food vans at Swanbank every Picnic Train
- Experience an unforgettable meal or themed event night (like a murder mystery) on the Queensland Pioneer Dining Train (More information here).
- Journey behind a Heritage Diesel Engine and experience the sounds and smells of the workhorses of Queensland's Branch Line
- Your visit supports the Queensland Pioneer Steam Railways restorations of unique and vintage vehicles
Volunteer For the Future
The Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway only operates because of a dedicated band of Volunteers.
It's not just drivers and firemen that keeps the trains going, the railway requires people to be the face of the railway as Passenger Services Staff and Station Staff, unsung hero's who do track work and locomotive and carriage maintenance, even gardeners will find a place at QPSR.
We would love for you to join our ranks as a QPSR member.
ABN 71 344 974 386