Tickets for the 23rd of May are now available:
Please note that until further notice all trains are Diesel hauled.
Please like our Facebook page for updates.
Experience The Past
At Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway, we aim to offer passengers the experience of a past now long gone.
You may be wanting to relive your youth or maybe travel behind your first steam train or recreate that special something that comes with riding in 100 year old coaches on tracks that are free of the clutter of modern life.
What ever you are searching for, with our 40 years experience, you will find it at Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway.
COVID Safe- The Swanbank Collier - Diesel hauled
Join us for a journey back in time behind one of our two 1960's heritage diesel locomotives on our COVID Safe rail service - "The Swanbank Collier ” departing from Swanbank Station (ONLY) at 9am, 11am and 1pm. Total round trip time is approximately 70 minutes.
This train trip featuring heritage timber carriages is a one hour journey which winds its way back in towards suburbia through the old coal mining sites, lush bushland and along the base of Castle Hill.
There is a quick turn around of the locomotive at Racecourse and we trundle back to Swanbank, through paddocks of horses and past quaint miners cottages.
QPSR are operating these services using a Queensland Tourism and Accommodation Industry COVID Safe Plan to limit the risk of COVID spread.
We ask that all passengers complete the pre-trip form (which will be emailed out to you a day prior to the trip) prior to arrival and respect the limitations imposed.
Help keep us on track through COVID-19 and donate to the railway today so that Steam will run again!
QPSR receives no Government funding and is entirely volunteer operated which exempts us from any Government relief in this time of forced shut down.
- Brisbane's Nearest Heritage Railway nestled at the Birth place of Railways in Queensland, Ipswich
- See 9 kilometers of historic and picturesque scenery through the old mine sites
- Travel behind a Heritage Steam Locomotives with the waft coal smoke, the hiss of the steam and blasts of the whistle
- Step back in time and Explore the Station at Swanbank built in 1903
- QPSR can offer's short trips to a full day out that, with a the Vintage buses, can extended your journey to the Cooneana Homestead and Heritage Village as part of the Picnic Train from Bundamba to Swanbank.
- Take in the Handmade Markets
- A great mix of food vans at Swanbank every Picnic Train
- Experience an unforgettable meal or themed event night (like a murder mystery) on the Queensland Pioneer Dining Train (More information here).
- Journey behind a Heritage Diesel Engine and experience the sounds and smells of the workhorses of Queensland's Branch Line
- Your visit supports the Queensland Pioneer Steam Railways restorations of unique and vintage vehicles
Volunteer For the Future
The Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway only operates because of a dedicated band of Volunteers.
It's not just drivers and firemen that keeps the trains going, the railway requires people to be the face of the railway as Passenger Services Staff and Station Staff, unsung hero's who do track work and locomotive and carriage maintenance, even gardeners will find a place at QPSR.
We would love for you to join our ranks as a QPSR member.
ABN 71 344 974 386